CBD for Pocket Pets
Pocket pets like bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, ferrets, and gerbils are popular among households since they’re relatively easier to take care of and don’t require as much attention as other pets. Pocket pets are ideal for smaller spaces and can make great companions for individuals that don’t have as much time to spend with their animals. Pocket pets can experience their own set of health conditions and have a very limited scope of options when it comes to veterinary and pharmaceutical care. CBD may offer an alternative, providing numerous potential benefits.
Your Pocket Pet’s Endocannabinoid System
These small domestic mammals all have an endocannabinoid system just like their bigger counterparts. This lock and key mechanism is what makes the promising benefits of CBD possible. The endocannabinoid system is a lipid-based biochemical communicative network that plays an important role in crucial physiological functions including appetite, sleep, mood, pain, and more. The endocannabinoid system produces endocannabinoids that attach to their corresponding cannabinoid receptors. When these endocannabinoids attach to receptors, the inhibitory feedback system is triggered cooling the body’s inflammatory response while pushing all systems towards homeostasis. CBD has the same chemical makeup as the endocannabinoids produced by your pocket pet’s body. That’s why when CBD is introduced, the same harmonic response is created.
CBD Benefits for Pocket Pets
CBD may offer pocket pets of any age or species with therapeutic value for the following conditions:
- Immune support: Common colds are quite prevalent among hamsters, bunnies, chinchillas, ferrets, and other pocket pets. Left untreated, common colds can develop into bronchitis, pneumonia, and other serious illnesses. CBD may offer comprehensive immune support, acting as a cold preventative. The encouraging antibacterial properties may also aid in quicker recoveries.
- Anxiety and stress: Stressful situations can impact pocket pets just like any other animal. Anxiety and stress can cause a myriad of physical symptoms and behavioral changes. CBD may offer anti-anxiety and stress-relieving benefits, helping your pocket pet enjoy better comfort and quality of life.
- Digestive health: From abdominal pain to loss of appetite, there are a large variety of digestive conditions that can impact pocket pets. CBD may provide pain relief in addition to comprehensive digestive health benefits. CBD may also reduce the inflammatory response within the digestive tract in order to alleviate symptoms.
- Respiratory infections and heat stress: These serious conditions require immediate veterinary care. Due to their size, pocket pets can be more susceptible to these conditions. CBD may offer antibacterial properties for prevention while helping modulate optimal immune system function. The encouraging bronchodilator properties of CBD may also provide therapeutic value for restricted breathing.
- Vitamin deficiency: Vitamin deficiency is actually one of the most common health concerns among pocket pets. Guinea pigs have a higher risk of vitamin C deficiency since their bodies can’t produce ascorbic acid from what they eat. CBD is nutrient-rich and may offer a viable supplement when combined with a healthy, balanced diet.
- Dental concerns: Some rodents’ teeth grow throughout their lifetime which can put them at risk for certain conditions if left unmanaged. Rabbits have a higher risk of experiencing overgrown teeth. While overgrown teeth can be addressed with proper diet, CBD may provide antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties for overall dental health benefits.
- Tumors: While most tumors are usually benign, they are quite common among pocket pets. Rats and mice are especially susceptible to developing tumors. Preclinical studies have shown that CBD may inhibit the growth of certain tumors. The promising pain-relieving properties of CBD may also provide better comfort.
- Skin conditions: Various forms of dermatitis and other skin conditions can affect gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, and any other pocket pet. The potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties may alleviate certain symptoms. The encouraging antibacterial and antifungal properties may also provide therapeutic value for infections.
- Mobility: There are numerous conditions that can impact your pocket pet’s mobility. From arthritis to fractures, these issues can be debilitating for your furry companion. CBD may promote bone cell growth while acting as a preventative for age-related bone diseases.
Is CBD Safe for My Pocket Pet?
CBD is a naturally-occurring compound with no long-term adverse side effects, no risk of overdose, and no risk of dependency. Our CBD pocket pet products are formulated with human-grade CBD for the purest, safest options on the market. Our products are always independent, third-party lab tested and have all natural, non-GMO ingredients.
What’s the Right CBD Dosage for My Pocket Pet?
Dosage varies from pet to pet, making it important to take the time to discover the right dose for yours. We recommend starting with a small dosage and working your way up slowly each day until the desired effects are achieved. CBD is non-toxic in large doses and presents zero risk for overdose, making experimentation safe. We always recommend speaking to your veterinarian before giving your pocket pet CBD.
Are There Side Effects?
While side effects are minimal, rare cases have been reported. The most common side effect of CBD for pocket pets are drowsiness and changes in appetite. Lowering the dosage may alleviate side effects– we always recommend observing your pet’s behavior before and after giving them CBD. Pocket pets with sensitive stomachs may require taking CBD with food.
Does CBD Have Drug Interactions?
Yes, CBD temporarily deactivates the cytochrome p450 system which is responsible for metabolizing the majority of traditional medication. Always speak to your veterinarian about CBD especially if your pocket pet is taking medication.