CBD for HorsesPeople lucky enough to own horses know the extensive mental, physical, emotional, and social benefits associated with this majestic pet. Equine activities develop life skills, creating a positive impact on kids and adults alike. Caring for a horse can come with significant costs, especially when it comes to healthcare. With limited pharmaceutical options that come with considerable expense, CBD may provide your horse with a natural alternative for many different conditions.
Your Horse’s Endocannabinoid SystemHorses have an endocannabinoid system just like people. This lock and key mechanism is what makes CBD so encouraging for different conditions. The endocannabinoid system is a biochemical communicative network that plays a crucial role in major physiological systems including pain, mood, sleep, appetite, and more. The endocannabinoid system produces endocannabinoids that attach to various cannabinoid receptors that are concentrated throughout the body. When endocannabinoids attach to these receptors, it triggers the inhibitory feedback system which cools the body’s inflammatory response while driving all of your horse’s biological symptoms towards homeostasis. CBD actually has the same chemical makeup as your horse’s endocannabinoids, causing the same harmonic response when it is introduced.
CBD Benefits for HorsesCBD may offer horses of any breed or age with comfort and a better quality of life by addressing the following common conditions:
- Arthritis and joint conditions: Arthritis is actually one of the leading conditions responsible for owners needing to retire their racing horses. Horses can be susceptible to other joint conditions, all impacting their range of motion and causing significant discomfort. CBD offers encouraging anti-inflammatory benefits that may reduce the swelling among affected joints. CBD may also provide pain relief, delivering long-term symptom management for a better quality of life.
- Laminitis: This extremely painful condition is unfortunately quite prevalent amongst horses. The inflammatory condition impacts the tissues bonding the hoof wall to the pedal bone in the hoof. Laminitis causes serious mobility issues and can be very debilitating for any horse. The promising anti-inflammatory properties of CBD may offer better comfort while alleviating the inflammation at the source. While it is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise program for prevention, CBD may offer therapeutic value as well.
- Dental concerns: Establishing a regular dental routine is crucial for your horse’s long-term health. Horses can experience uneven wear on their teeth after years of eating feed. Professional vet care is required to make sure that your horse’s teeth are filed down evenly. Dental conditions can impact other organs and overall health, leading to infection and disease. CBD may provide natural antibacterial properties for reducing the risk of infection while providing potential anti-inflammatory benefits for keeping gums healthy.
- Colic: Colic is characterized as abdominal pain, which encompasses all forms of gastrointestinal issues. From gas colic to obstructive colic, there are a number of conditions that can put your horse at risk. In order to prevent colic, prioritizing your horse’s digestive health is important. CBD may provide digestive and gastrointestinal benefits while delivering a nutrient-rich option for supplementing your horse’s roughage-rich diet.
- Back issues: Performance horses can have frequent back issues, especially considering the complex system of muscles, tendons, nerves, and bones that comprise their backs. Rest is key for helping alleviate back issues for horses, however, CBD may provide a safe alternative to traditional painkillers. The encouraging pain-relieving properties of CBD may offer better comfort for numerous back concerns.
- Heaves: Also known as recurrent airway obstruction, heaves is an inflammatory respiratory condition caused by an allergic reaction of airborne inhalants. CBD may block the body’s histamine response while providing anti-inflammatory benefits for reducing symptoms. The promising bronchodilator properties of CBD may dilate your horse’s respiratory air passages, aiding in inhibiting bronchoconstriction.
- Skin conditions: Horses can suffer from a wide range of skin conditions due to their long-term exposure to the outdoors. The potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving benefits of CBD may assist in skin discomfort and irritation, helping provide relief. CBD also contains antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and linoleic acid that may promote better skin health.
- Equine neurological disorders: From seizures to abnormal gait, neurological disorders can affect horses of any breed. CBD may provide anticonvulsant properties, helping reduce seizures and symptoms. CBD’s encouraging neuroprotective properties may also aid against age-related neurological disorders, supporting healthy brain function and mental clarity.
- Anxiety and behavioral concerns: The two most common anxiety problems for horses are performance anxiety and separation anxiety. Horse anxiety is very different than other pet anxiety– since they are a prey species, they’re prone to flight when something scary appears. CBD’s potential anti-anxiety and stress-relieving properties may offer long-term comfort for various types of anxiety that your horse is experiencing. Preclinical studies have shown that CBD may provide therapeutic value for learned fear, helping reduce the fear response for a more balanced reaction.
Is CBD Safe for My Horse?
CBD is a naturally-occurring compound with no long-term adverse side effects, no risk of overdose, and no risk of dependency. Our CBD horse products are formulated with human-grade CBD for the purest, safest options on the market. Our products are always independent, third-party lab tested and have all natural, non-GMO ingredients.
What’s the Right CBD Dosage for My Horse?
Dosage varies from horse to horse, making it important to take the time to discover the right dose for yours. We recommend starting with a small dosage and working your way up slowly each day until the desired effects are achieved. CBD is non-toxic in large doses and presents zero risk for overdose, making experimentation safe. We always recommend speaking to your veterinarian before giving your horse CBD.
Are There Side Effects?
While side effects are minimal, rare cases have been reported. The most common side effect of CBD for horses are drowsiness, diarrhea, and changes in appetite. Lowering the dosage may alleviate side effects– we always recommend observing your pet’s behavior before and after giving them CBD. Horses with sensitive stomachs may require taking CBD with food.
Does CBD Have Drug Interactions?
Yes, CBD temporarily deactivates the cytochrome p450 system which is responsible for metabolizing the majority of traditional medication. Always speak to your veterinarian about CBD especially if your horse is taking medication.