CBD for DogsDogs can be an important part of any family, offering a lifetime of loyalty and companionship. Like any other member of your family, dogs can experience a wide range of various health conditions and concerns. Anyone who has dealt with medical pet care understands the high costs associated with any treatment as well as the limited scope of pharmaceutical options available. Dog pharmaceuticals have their own set of adverse, long-term side effects which can sometimes outweigh the medical benefits. CBD may offer a natural alternative for your loving pup, helping address numerous conditions.
Your Dog’s Endocannabinoid SystemDogs have an endocannabinoid system just like us. That means that your pup has the lock and key mechanism that makes CBD so potentially effective. The endocannabinoid system is a biochemical communicative system that plays a crucial role in major physiological functions including mood, sleep, pain, appetite, and more. The endocannabinoid system produces endocannabinoids that attach to cannabinoid receptors which are densely located throughout the body. When endocannabinoids attach to these receptors, it triggers the inhibitory feedback system to cool the body’s inflammatory response while nudging all systems towards homeostasis. CBD has the same chemical makeup as your dog’s endocannabinoids, causing the same harmonic effect when introduced to their body. Since the endocannabinoid system communicates to numerous biological systems, that’s why CBD may offer therapeutic value for so many different conditions.
CBD Benefits for Dogs
CBD may offer dogs of any breed or age with comfort and a better quality of life by addressing the following common conditions:
- Separation anxiety: Separation anxiety is a common condition that can create destructive or disruptive behavior when your dog is left alone. From chewing up your valuables to trying to escape, these symptoms of distress can be debilitating for your pup while causing daily stress for owners. CBD’s promising anti-anxiety and stress-relieving properties may address your dog’s anxiety at the root of the problem. By potentially balancing vital mood chemical messengers, CBD may alleviate the symptoms of separation anxiety while providing long-term support.
- Travel and event anxiety: Some dogs can experience anxiety during travel and certain events. Loud noises like fireworks can unsettle your pup, causing fearful and anxious behavior. This type of anxiety stems from the fear of the unknown, which can be difficult to address with pharmaceuticals. Preclinical studies have shown that CBD may reduce the fear response while alleviating anxiety. By potentially balancing dopamine levels, CBD may provide the comfort your dog needs during travel or a stressful event.
- Hot spots and skin conditions: Hot spots are a common skin condition that dogs can develop from contact or inhalant allergies, food allergies, or flea bite allergies. In addition to hot spots, dogs can suffer from numerous skin conditions ranging from chronic issues to scrapes and scratches. The encouraging anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties of CBD may provide better management for certain skin conditions. In preclinical studies, CBD has been shown to reduce the body’s histamine response and provide potential antibacterial properties that may address the root cause of hot spots and skin infections.
- Allergies: Just like us, dogs can experience allergies ranging from plants to food. Allergies can cause symptoms including itching, sneezing, coughing, and/or wheezing. With any allergic response, your pup’s immune system triggers mast cells to release histamine. Histamine creates inflammation which causes these symptoms. CBD may block mast cell activation of histamine while reducing the body’s inflammatory response in order to provide better symptom management.
- Dental disease: Dental disease is really common in both adult and senior dogs, impacting about 3/4 of dogs in this age range. When left untreated, dental disease can cause gum inflammation, infection, tartar buildup, mouth odor, and tooth loss. The systematic connection between oral health and the rest of your dog’s body can cause infection and inflammation of other organs if dental disease is present. CBD’s encouraging antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties may aid in preventing dental disease when combined with proper dental care.
- Ear infections: Ear infections can actually be a secondary symptom to a wide range of dog allergies. Certain breeds also experience a higher risk of ear infections due to the way their ears are formed. The promising antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of CBD may provide therapeutic value while also addressing allergic reactions by blocking histamine production.
- Eye conditions: Dogs can experience a wide range of eye conditions from age-related diseases to bacterial infections. CBD may promote general eye health benefits by reducing vision loss and improving night vision. CBD’s potential antibacterial properties may also provide a quicker recovery while reducing discomfort for certain eye infections.
- Fur health and excessive shedding: Did you know that excessive shedding can actually be unhealthy for your pup? It can cause pain and discomfort while leading to skin problems. Excessive shedding can be a result of dietary allergies, poor diet, or internal metabolic disease. CBD is rich in essential fatty acids and linoleic acid, which may promote better skin and fur health. While a healthy diet and removal of foods that may trigger allergies are crucial for reducing excessive shedding, CBD may provide therapeutic value.
- Digestive concerns: Dogs can experience numerous digestive concerns with diarrhea being among one of the most common. Digestive issues can be a result of bad bacteria in the intestines or a chronic condition. CBD may provide comprehensive symptom management with its encouraging antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. CBD may also stabilize bowel movements while relieving nausea.
- Diabetes and cardiovascular health: Some dogs, unfortunately, suffer from diabetes and heart conditions. CBD may offer significant benefits for diabetic dogs by lowering high blood pressure, defending against insulin resistance, and optimizing blood sugar levels. The promising anti-inflammatory benefits of CBD may also reduce the risk of certain health conditions.
- Mobility issues: Whether your pup has a chronic condition like arthritis or is experiencing age-related mobility issues, CBD may improve mobility by potentially alleviating pain and inflammation. Many dogs suffer from mobility due to pain or age which can drastically reduce their quality of life. CBD may provide long-term symptom management.
- Aggression and behavioral concerns: Preclinical studies have shown that CBD may reduce aggressive responses. While behavioral concerns should always be addressed with training first, CBD may provide another option by balancing vital mood chemical messengers in the brain for a more calm response.
Is CBD Safe for My Dog?
CBD is a naturally-occurring compound with no long-term adverse side effects, no risk of overdose, and no risk of dependency. Our CBD dog products are formulated with human-grade CBD for the purest, safest options on the market. Our products are always independent, third-party lab tested and have all natural, non-GMO ingredients.
What’s the Right CBD Dosage for My Dog?
Dosage varies from dog to dog, making it important to take the time to discover the right dose for yours. We recommend starting with a small dosage and working your way up slowly each day until the desired effects are achieved. CBD is non-toxic in large doses and presents zero risk for overdose, making experimentation safe. We always recommend speaking to your veterinarian before giving your dog CBD.
Are There Side Effects?
While side effects are minimal, rare cases have been reported. The most common side effect of CBD for dogs are drowsiness, diarrhea, and changes in appetite. Lowering the dosage may alleviate side effects– we always recommend observing your pet’s behavior before and after giving them CBD. Dogs with sensitive stomachs may require taking CBD with food.
Does CBD Have Drug Interactions?
Yes, CBD temporarily deactivates the cytochrome p450 system which is responsible for metabolizing the majority of traditional medication. Always speak to your veterinarian about CBD especially if your dog is taking medication.