CBD for Birds
Birds are wonderful companions that are easy to care for and don’t require a lot of space. These social pets can be ideal for certain living situations, offering certain stress relief benefits for their owners. Just like any other pet, birds can experience numerous health conditions. Their long lifespans also put them at a higher risk for certain concerns. Veterinary care and treatment options can be very limited for birds, making CBD a potential, natural alternative for your pet bird.
Your Bird’s Endocannabinoid System
Birds have an endocannabinoid system just like any other pet. This lock and key mechanism is a lipid-based biochemical communicative network that plays a considerable role in significant physiological functions including appetite, sleep, mood, pain, and more. The endocannabinoid system produces endocannabinoids which attach to corresponding cannabinoid receptors that are located throughout the body. When these endocannabinoids attach to your bird’s receptors, the inhibitory feedback system is engaged causing the body to cool its inflammatory response while bringing all systems towards homeostasis. CBD actually mirrors the same chemical makeup as these endocannabinoids, creating the same harmonic reaction when introduced to your bird’s body. Since the endocannabinoid system communicates to all major systems, that’s why CBD may be so effective for so many different conditions.
CBD Benefits for BirdsCBD may provide benefits for birds of all ages and backgrounds for the following conditions:
- Arthritis and joint conditions: Septic arthritis, traumatic arthritis, and other joint conditions can occur at any age for birds. These debilitating conditions can impact mobility, creating discomfort for your pet bird. The encouraging anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving benefits of CBD may offer long-term symptom management. By addressing the inflammation at the source, CBD may be a great alternative for the NSAIDs and painkillers used to treat these conditions.
- Pododermatitis: Also known as bumblefoot, pododermatitis is a common condition that affects older birds. This condition is characterized as an inflammatory or degenerative condition of the avian foot and is a progressive disease. The promising anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and antibacterial properties of CBD may offer therapeutic value for the inflammation, pain, and infection experienced.
- Avian fractures: Treating bird fractures can be extremely difficult because bird bones are filled with air and have a higher calcium content. CBD may promote bone cell growth, helping aid in quicker fracture recoveries. CBD may offer overall bone health benefits, especially when combined with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise.
- Anxiety and stress: There are a number of reasons that can lead to your pet bird feeling stressed or anxious. From environmental changes to a new routine, symptoms of stress are often showcased both behaviorally and physically. CBD’s potential stress-relieving and anti-anxiety benefits may offer a natural solution for calming your bird. By balancing vital mood chemical messengers, CBD may provide long-term support.
- Aggression and behavioral concerns: Aggression in birds is commonly caused by fear or previous traumatic experiences. Preclinical studies have shown that CBD may provide therapeutic value for the learned fear response, helping reduce aggression and anxiety.
- Digestive problems: Birds can experience numerous different digestive issues ranging from gastric yeast to gastrointestinal parasites. While most digestive conditions require veterinary care, CBD may provide general digestive health benefits. By potentially alleviating inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, CBD may promote better comfort while reducing the risk of certain issues.
- Cardiovascular health: Just like us, birds can suffer from a wide range of cardiac diseases. Potential risk factors for poor cardiovascular health are a high-fat diet, sedentary lifestyle, and hypercholesterolemia. CBD may offer comprehensive cardiovascular benefits from lowering high blood pressure to optimizing blood sugar levels. CBD may also provide anti-inflammatory properties for reducing the risk of certain heart conditions.
- Immune support: Supporting proper immune function is vital for keeping your birds healthy for their long lifespan. While diet, exercise, and environmental conditions all play an important role in immune function, CBD offers antioxidants and potential anti-inflammatory properties for promising immune system benefits.
- Skin conditions: Birds can experience various bacterial skin infections and fungal skin infections, especially when their cages aren’t diligently cleaned. The encouraging antibacterial and antifungal benefits of CBD may aid in quicker recovery. CBD may also provide anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties for better skin comfort.
Is CBD Safe for My Bird?
CBD is a naturally-occurring compound with no long-term adverse side effects, no risk of overdose, and no risk of dependency. Our CBD bird products are formulated with human-grade CBD for the purest, safest options on the market. Our products are always independent, third-party lab tested and have all natural, non-GMO ingredients.
What’s the Right CBD Dosage for My Bird?
Dosage varies from bird to bird, making it important to take the time to discover the right dose for yours. We recommend starting with a small dosage and working your way up slowly each day until the desired effects are achieved. CBD is non-toxic in large doses and presents zero risk for overdose, making experimentation safe. We always recommend speaking to your veterinarian before giving your bird CBD.
Are There Side Effects?
While side effects are minimal, rare cases have been reported. The most common side effect of CBD for birds are drowsiness and changes in appetite. Lowering the dosage may alleviate side effects– we always recommend observing your pet’s behavior before and after giving them CBD. Birds with sensitive stomachs may require taking CBD with food.
Does CBD Have Drug Interactions?
Yes, CBD temporarily deactivates the cytochrome p450 system which is responsible for metabolizing the majority of traditional medication. Always speak to your veterinarian about CBD especially if your bird is taking medication.